Ways to Fit Exercise into our Everyday Routines | South Central Wellness Center
Posted on September 14, 2019
Regular exercise has many benefits. It can improve our overall health and fitness, reduce our risk for chronic conditions, such as diabetes or heart disease and boost our mental and emotional well-being.
Adults are encouraged to get at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise – or 75 minutes of more vigorous physical activity – each week. For children and teens, experts recommend 60 minutes of exercise daily, with most of it moderate-intensity aerobic activity.
The challenge for many of us is how to make physical activity part of our regular routine, without it feeling like a chore. The following tips can help us stay on track:
- Make small, simple changes. Every bit of extra activity helps. Try taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walk over to a co-worker’s desk instead of sending an email, or park further away from where you are going and walk the rest of the way.
- Find a buddy or group. Having someone to exercise with can provide motivation and make activities more enjoyable. Consider joining a group exercise class, walking club or recreational sports team.
- Keep track of your progress. Being able to see how far you have come can help you stay motivated and allows you to celebrate your successes. Personal fitness devices make it easier than ever to track your daily activity.
- Change things up. Keep things fresh by trying different activities, or listen to music to keep from getting bored.
- Plan for bad weather. Join a gym you can use when you need to exercise indoors, or find a shopping mall where you can walk year-round.
South Central Wellness Center
offers opportunities for adults, children and senior citizens to get active and stay active. To learn more about programs available, visit scrmc.com
or call 601-399-0530.