Monoclonal Antibody Therapy | SCRMC
Posted on August 11, 2021
COVID-19 Monoclonal Antibody Therapy
If you have recently been diagnosed with COVID-19, there are treatment options available to you.
- If you have a recent positive COVID diagnosis from a medical facility, call 601-426-4226 to schedule a time.
Note – Treatment is NOT authorized for patients who are:
- Require oxygen therapy due to COVID-19
- On chronic oxygen therapy who require an increase in baseline oxygen flow due to COVID-19
SCRMC is offering a treatment known as monoclonal antibody (MAB) therapy to help patients who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are at risk of developing a severe case of the illness. Results have shown that this treatment may reduce the need for hospitalization and severe illness. Please note that for this treatment to be impactful, it must be given less than 10 days of developing COVID-19 symptoms.
Information & eligibility
Who may be eligible to receive monoclonal antibody treatment?
Patients with positive COVID-19 results who are 12 years of age or older and who have had mild to moderate symptoms for less than 10 days are eligible to receive the treatment. Patients with any of the following indicators may benefit from the monoclonal antibody:
- Body mass index (BMI) ≥ 25 (or for pediatrics BMI ≥ 85th percentile for age)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Immunosuppressive disease or receiving immunosuppressive treatment
- Poorly controlled hypertension
- Cardiovascular disease or Congenital Heart Disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or other respiratory diseases
- Sickle cell disease
- Neurodevelopmental disorders
- Medical-related technological dependence (i.e. tracheostomy, gastrostomy)
- Other medical condition or factor (i.e. race or ethnicity) that may place the patient at a higher risk for progression to severe COVID-19
Can children receive an outpatient monoclonal antibody treatment?
Children between 12 and 17 years old who have certain conditions may meet the criteria. Consult with a Pediatrician to discuss eligibility.
South Central’s OLD Emergency Department
1220 Jefferson Street
Laurel, MS 39440